Monday, August 11, 2014

Birthday Rose

I've been toying with this design for a while now--I'm absolutely obsessed with yellow roses lately since I pass a gorgeous rose bush with amazingly fragrant yellow blooms on my way to the parking garage after work.  It's not quite what I had in my mind's eye but it'll do, pig, it'll do.  So far my favorite technique with the Gansai Tambi watercolors is doing wet on dry to create depth of color.

The background was a happy accident.  I was testing the various blues and dropped my brush laden with a deep blue on my card.  Argh!  I had to mush on so washed the entire background with the blue (similar to the lower left corner).  In my mind I'd already ruined the card so I decided to try to super saturate the blue area and lift off the blue with a paper towel.  I love how that turned out--dreamy.

As an FYI I went to Michael's yesterday and found they had a ream of 100 sheets of 100 lb white cardstock for $8 with coupon.  I generally use PTI white cardstock (my fav!!) for my bases but this is an excellent substitute.  I will definitely feel less guilty when I try and try again.  LOL

The Details:  Tim Holtz watercolor paper, PTI white paper, Recollections cardstock base, Simon Says woodgrain cardstock, Lil' Inker sentiment, Inkadinkado rose stamp, Gansai Tambi watercolors, foam tape

I'm entering this in Seize the Birthday, 101/102 Watercolor Anything Goes, Penny Black Anything Goes, Fusion Beach House, Tuesday Throwdown #207 Mellow Yellow, Crafty Creations #269 Flower Power, Little Tangles #42 Happy Birthday, Shopping Our Stash #163 Splish Splash


9 comments:

  1. Love your "BABE" reference! And your card

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful yellow rose! Accidental backgrounds are awesome aren't they??
    Thanks for playing along with us at Shopping Our Stash for the "Splish Splash" challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never know that your background came from an accident! It's beautiful as is the rose! Your comment about my pinecone looking like chocolate tickled me. I thought it looked like nougat! Had me dipping into my chocolate stash! If you were here, I'd share. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your background and your rose are beautiful! Well done! thank you for sharing it at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the rose AND the background! Yay for happy accidents and playing with supplies. Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it amazing how some things just work out anyway. The yellow roses are great against the washed background. Thank you sharing this card at 101: Watercolor. Cheers, Victoria Lavender

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so pretty! i love how you've placed the rose and sentiment on the left. thank you so much for playing along with us this month at penny black and more.
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, so RICH in colors!!! Thanks so much for sharing this lovely and for joining us at FUSION!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful, and I love the background! Thanks for playing along with Little Tangles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really enjoy and appreciate them all!